Here's the before:
You'll notice I didn't put the button tuft in the middle like the before picture. I might still add that. I was undecided about it so I thought I would live with it like this for awhile and then see what I think.
The project took a little time and patience but I'm pretty happy with the result!
Here's how I did it:
First, I had my husband help me take a couple of the legs off that were giving me a little trouble.
Then I used a screwdriver to lift off the staples that were holding down the black finishing fabric and the welting.
I decided to keep the old fabric on the piece and just add more batting over it. (On this piece it doesn't hurt to keep the old fabric on, and it saved me the hassle of lifting off more staples.)
After it was dismantled, I added a new layer of batting (you wouldn't have to do this step either...I did it because I felt the stool needed it).
Then I used some inexpensive muslin to make a pattern so I wouldn't waste my expensive fabric.
I simply layed one large piece of fabric over the three sides of the cube and then pinned two end pieces and cut off the excess.
I didn't sew the muslin...I just used it to make a pattern. I laid down the pattern on the "real" fabric and cut around it. I cut the sides a little longer on each end because I wanted to be able to adjust the fabric to match up the window pane pattern.
When everything was cut, I started pinning at the top by matching the stripes.
Here's a better shot to see the extra fabric on either end to help me adjust for the pattern.
When it was all pinned, I trimmed off the excess fabric before sewing. I left about an inch seam allowance (except for the bottom).
When it was all stapled, I started making the welting that goes around the bottom to finish off the piece.
I used the old cord to measure the length I'd need to make. When laying it on the bias (the diagonal), it looked like I wouldn't have to do any additional sewing - yay!
With the welting finished, I started stapling it around the bottom of the cube.
When you get to this point at the end, you need to make it look like a nice continuous looking piece. It's actually pretty easy. Here's how you do it:
You peel back the fabric on one end of the welting and then match it up to the other cord so you can "join" the two together to make one continuous piece. Cut where the two pieces would join.
Then butt the two ends together and fold the excess fabric inward (as shown above) so you don't have any fraying edges exposed.
Hold one end down as you fold the fabric and then staple the ends down so it forms one continuous piece of welting.
Once it was complete, I stapled the old black finishing fabric on and then screwed on the legs.
I saved myself about $100 by doing these ottomans myself instead of buying custom from an online store.
Linking up to: